Toyota Corolla, Also Known As the “Japanese Mouse Mobile” - Lisa’s 1st BRAND NEW CAR

153 of 382 Toyota reviews

I am 50 years old and this Toyota Corolla is my first brand new car. I was blessed to be able to pay cash for the car. For some this might not mean much to you but for me it was a special occasion and that is why I even bothered to share that bit of information with you. I wish I could say that it has been a pleasure to own but that would be a lie!

From day one there was an issue with the fuel pump, since then, that has been replaced (it was faulty from the factory) and I took it in stride, BUT the issue I have been having with mice for months has really been a pain in the rear and made what should have been a joyful experience a tremendously stressful never ending nightmare!

First off, I am not naïve; I realize that automotive manufacturers cannot do much to keep mice from getting under the hood/in the engine compartment. That is NOT the issue with this car and if it was I would NOT be spending my time on this beautiful day writing about my experience with this Toyota!

My issue with this car is that mice get inside the passenger cabin and wreak havoc! We have 4 other vehicles at our home and none of them have an issue with mice!

What really boils my blood is Toyota’s reaction – short and to the point: they act as if there is no problem and will not do anything about it.

Please note that while on the phone with a representative from the Toyota Customer Experience Center Phone: 800-331-4331, Toyota claims there is no issue and stated firmly that they will do nothing about my problem. After I was told this by the Toyota customer rep., my nephew was looking to buy a new Toyota Rav-4, he knew about the mice nightmare I have been enduring and asked the salesman about it and was told that yes there was a known problem with mice getting into Toyota Corollas and the Prius’ but not the Rav-4. Now this REALLY *** me off. Why was I told that there are no known issues with the Corollas? Obviously the reason is that Toyota does not want to deal with fixing the issue.

The reality is that Toyota makes cars with a design flaw – and that design flaw is not placing mesh over the cabin air intake areas.

If you are thinking of buying a Toyota; PLEASE ask yourself the following questions:

? Do you want to buy a car from a company that does not acknowledge its manufacturing design flaws and does NOTHING to correct them; like I did?

? Do you want to drive a Toyota distracted, at excessive speeds, while doing your best to keep your feet off the floorboard, watching a mouse running around in the floorboard; like I have? (Yes, I could have gotten a speeding ticket or ultimately wrecked the car)

? Do you want to always have to set your Toyota’s air conditioner/heater to blow air on your feet so as to keep yourself from having musty stinking air which is apparently saturated in mouse urine and *** blow directly into your face); like I do? (Yes the cabin filter has been changed in this new car and the air still stinks not to mention is VERY UNHEALTHY to breathe.

? Do you want to constantly be cleaning up mouse *** from inside your Toyota; like I do?

? Do you want to clean out mice nest with dead baby mice from your Toyota’s center console; like I have?

? Do you want to have to place your car inspection papers in a zip lock bag in the glove compartment because they are covered in mouse urine; like I have?

? Do you want to drive around with set mice traps throughout your floorboards and trunk and to have to constantly remove dead mice from your car or to have to remove the traps each time you have someone riding in the car with you; like I do?

? Do you want to drive around in a Toyota that is loaded up with items that are supposed to be mouse deterrents such as Irish Spring Soap (the mice ate it), cotton balls saturated in pure peppermint oil (the mice chewed on them), and dryer sheets; like I do?

? Do you want to have to stomp a mouse to death with your foot that has been caught on a sticky trap in your glove compartment because you can’t find a rock to kill it with (the mice are entering the car through the Corolla’s lower glove compartment and old fashioned traps do not work well in glove compartments); All I could hear was my husband’s voice saying “I wish you wouldn’t have bought those sticky traps they are inhumane and the mice dies a slow death”, I was in a panic and I had to make it quick and that was the only way – I had to go to work – so it had to be done.

Everything stated above is the truth and I deal with all of it on a daily basis and what bothers me the most is that Toyota sells cars with an OBVIOUS DESIGN FLAW that they are NOT WILLING TO FIX! SHAME ON YOU TOYOTA!

Furthermore, If I ever wreck that car because of being distracted by a mouse running around inside the cabin while I am trying to drive it, or if I catch a disease because of rodents being inside that car; well then I hope you can imagine what I will be inclined to do.

It is my sincere hope that NO ONE ELSE has to endure what I have and still am dealing with; that is why I am sharing my Toyota experience with you.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Had the same issue 31 Yes 31
153 of 382 Toyota reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Nov 08 #1238415 Goodland, Kansas, United States

Burn your *** car--i would have gotten rid of that the first hour that i realized a mouse was living in it.Fool.

Sara

Oct 17 #1228185 Green Bay, Wisconsin, United States

OMG!!!! I too have a 2013 Toyota Corolla! SAME THING has been happening! I'm so annoyed! This is completely insane. I HATE MY CAR!

Sep 14 #1212835 Rockwall, Texas, United States

I've got a 2010 Corolla and "Micky and Minnie" mouse have set up housekeeping in my blower fan! Time to build a wall! Ha, ha.
Anonymous2

Sep 13 #1212425 Babylon, New York, United States

There is a recall for the mouse problem. Toyota is now giving owners of affected vehicles cats to combat this problem.

2 0 Reply

Aug 20 #1201648 Boiestown, New Brunswick, Canada

I own a 2011 RAV4, since new. Had a reoccurring problem with mice inside. The last time one chewed through the cabin filter and died in the fan housing! Not a pleasant smell! After Toyota kept recommending replacing the cabin filter and parking my vehicle in a mouse free area (lol) I decided to install a screen over the fresh air intake myself. I removed the wiper cowling and installed a piece of mesh screening. No mice have entered since! C'mon Toyota, how about some customer satisfaction?

Nov 07 #1237759 East Montpelier, Vermont, United States

I just did this yesterday but found it difficult to get access to the openings because of the two "levels" of steel. This morning there was another mouse in the trap in the glove compartment. So either they're already living in the car, or my barrier failed, or there's another point of entry :(

Apr 18 #1146290

I have mice in my 2012 Corolla heater. They chewed through the cabin filter and into the blower. They ripped out a pile of pink insulation from somewhere within, now the blower rumbles loudly on high. Must be more damage deep inside.

ransom

Apr 10 #1142391

And people ask me why I read this ridiculous site.
This is hilarious, I love it.

0 2 Reply

Apr 10 #1142384

mice in my 2008 corolla,i think they are coming thru the trunk air vents(maybe else where ?)droppings in glove box and floors and trunk, found bird seed under rear seat--tried sticky traps-- dryer sheets--poison--oil of peppermint--bucket of water with a jar on a shaft that spins covered with peanut butter--finally caught the first one with a old style trap with bacon super glued to the trigger---never had a problem with mice in a car before---had quite a few cars in 66 years.

Apr 07 #1140651

I'd have sympathy for you if you weren't nasty and shamelessly violent. Listen to your husband, you sick freak. Now I enjoy the thought of you breathing mouse urine.

1 1 Reply

Mar 29 #1136171

Same issues several times a year. Health hazzard!

Mar 20 #1130673

I have a 2013 Toyota Corolla, and mice have gotten in my cabin. I have caught all three mice with sticky traps inside the vehicle. I had to install a stainless steel wire mesh on the air intake located u see the hood on the driver side near the battery.
I have read in other posts that it seems my stopping mice from getting in isn't over. So many manufacturing flaws with stopping rodents to getting into the cabin!

mousemobile

Mar 20 #1131041 Stanardsville, Virginia, United States

We did the same,...no problem since, just sad that Toyota is to sorry to recall and fix an obvious issue in their failure to protect the cabin from invaders (rats ,mice, squirrels, snakes or any other small creature) that decides to come through the vehicle's vents.

Dec 15, 2015 #1079092

2015 Toyota rav 4 and I can't keep the mice out....dealer said to get a cat.....hate my car!

mousemobile

Mar 20 #1131047 Stanardsville, Virginia, United States

The easiest fix is to cover the cabin vent area with either galvanized or stainless wire mesh (we used galvanized rabbit wire 1/2 inch squares in the mesh) our main vent was in the firewall under cowling on passenger side, took a piece of wire approx. 1 ft. by 6 in. and 8 to 12 short self tapping screws to seal. you have to remove the wiper blades and the plastic cowl cover (between hood and windshield) to access the area. Sorry you had same issue !

2 0 Reply

Nov 29, 2015 #1071358

brand new Prius and the mice have moved in.
I am bullship. Really toyota you cannot keep mice out of the phucking car.
Not sure what to do but I will not live with rodent ship in my mobile office / home / lunch wagon.
I drive 2000 miles a month for work and need to nibble. I DO need mice or rats eating my wires....BULLSHIP!

Sep 17, 2015 #1034794

I too am dealing with mice making "nests" in the cabin air filter compartment and in the trunk. I am setting traps and using mouse poison to eradicate them. The car is an 05 Corolla.

Aug 15, 2015 #1019939

I have the same problem with my Prius! I contacted Toyota and they advised me to see my dealer. Been there, done that. They charged me $300+ , and the problem was not resolved. Now I'm looking to buy another car, you can bet it won't be another Toyota!

Smell like mouse spirit

Mar 14, 2015 #958476 Knoxville, Iowa, United States

My 2010 Matrix has the same problem. They chew through the cabin filter and into the cabin of the car. Last summer the mice chewed through the wiring on the oxygen sensor and caused it to fail. I paid the Toyota dealer nearly $400 to rewire the O2 sensor. Grrr. This winter they invaded the interior, excrement everywhere and the blower motor compartment is full of mouse turds. Stinks like ***. I agree if Toyota knows this and makes no changes in their design, I'm switching brands. None of my other vehicles have this issue.

Mar 10, 2015 #956685 Germantown, Maryland, United States

I had a toyota fj cruiser and it was full of mice! They were actually getting in around the wheel well storage compartments in the back. If you take the covers off you can see daylight through the bottom! I stuffed the holes full of steel wool which helped but I still traded it in. that thing smelled like a mouse sewer plant

1-20 of 25 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Toyota. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

×
You were reading a complaint about Toyota.
Filing a new complaint about
×