12.1K views

Has anyone started a class action suit against Toyota for the water pump problem? I have one that has 56000 miles and the water pump has went out.

Toyota clear has a major quality issue with the water pump on the V6 Rav 4. I am a quality engineer, no in the automotive field, but this clearly is beyond the expected failure rate, so Toyota should make good to the affected Rav 4 owners. I would be good for the affected owners to band together and demand action.

It would also be a good idea to get the media involved. Toyota seems to be mor responsive when pressure is applied.

Comments

4/30/2018 Just bought 2007 Rav4 v6 from dealer with 115,000 miles on it, bought 6,000 mile warranty. Had car inspected before buying by 2 separate auto repair shops (1 was Toyota dealership) both said great deal for the money one minor oil leak repair around $100.

Had one recall for side arm assembly, took to Toyota for recall, still saying everything was OK with my car. One week later sounds like a growling coming from engine. Take to Toyota dealership and they say water pump needs replacing to the tune of over $900. 00!!!

My warranty will pay half of parts and labor, but I'm still looking at around $475.00 for my part and I just paid around $7,000 for this car a few weeks ago! Toyota definitely has a serious problem with water pump issues, are there no attorneys out there wanting to file a class action lawsuit? What is required? I would like to see one started and will definitely join if someone already has one.

Please advise. Thank you, Lisa

Water pump failed on 2010 RAV4 with 72K miles. $875 after bargaining with the dealer.

Seems like a weak spot in this model. I like everything else about my RAV4 and haven't had any other problems, but it doesn't seem like a water pump should fail this early.

I would join a class action at this time. I have a 2007 RAV 4 Sport and I just replaced the water pump for the 3rd time.

I bought the car new and had two replaced under warranty and two now on my own. There is definately something wrong.

I have been driving for 30 years and did not have to replace a single water pump on any of the vehicles I owned. I love my RAV and it has been a great car otherwise but 4 water pumps?

#1422034

I was in a Toyota dealership today helping a friend look at a 2016 Rav 4. The car fax states the water pump was replaced @ 23,000 miles! Something is terribly wrong

I was told today that my 2008 RAV4 with barely 66,000 miles on it needs a new water pump. The dealer said it would cost $715 and five hours.

This is my first Toyota and will be my last.

Too bad. I really like my RAV4.

Massapequa Park, New York, United States #1335684

2008 RAV 4 with this typical water pump failure, repair cost over $1,100. Seems like the seal goes, bearings fail, pump leaks - toast.

On top of this a wholesale exhaust failure, many recalls and a variable valve train issue. If that occurs after 60K miles your on your own. There is a TSB and Toyota knows of this failure.

After owning a Toyota's for over 30 years I am saying good bye.

I have sunk a fortune into a supremely maintained car. It's time for a Honda or a Hyundai.

Ashburn, Virginia, United States #1298211

My 2007 rav4 water pump had to be replaced at 80000 miles at the tune of 900.00.

Everett, Washington, United States #1283561

My water pump had to be replaced at 30,000 in my 2006 corolla.....

Cranston, Rhode Island, United States #1272980

well my water pump went at 105K to the tune of $900.00. Toyota should be sued for all these pumps going

Glenwood Springs, Colorado, United States #1248515

My first water pump was replaced at 56,000. Now I nee another at 115,000.

I've been driving 40 years. I have had three water pumps replaced - two of them on my 2019 Rav 4 Sport.

North Bergen, New Jersey, United States #1248320

I would totally join the class action. I have a 2011 Rav 4 with 66k miles and the water pump just gave up. It should at least last 100k+ miles!!!

After I complained, the Toyota factory agreed to pay for my first water pump almost three years ago on my 2008 RAV4. It was just over the 40k miles warranty.

Today I've been told I need to replace it again, so waiting to hear what warranty is. I'm definitely NOT having it replaced at the dealership.

I might be done with them. So much for going there for "superior" Toyota parts!

johnnyten
Chicago, Illinois, United States #1246055

I just had my water pump replaced at the dealer on my 2007 RAV4 (4-cylinder) with 43,000 miles. Judging from the similar experiences so many people have expressed in this forum, I would definitely join a class action. The need for this repair seems very premature at such low milage!

donnamillsify
Anchorage, Alaska, United States #1244758

2008 Rav4 4cyl Paid it off this past March and that is about the time a rattling noise started.56,500 miles on it.

My local shop checked it for me. They removed the serpentine belt, the rattle persisted and they felt the noise was coming from within the engine.

About 5 months ago had it hauled 100 miles to Toyota for a recall and to see what the noise was. They fixed the recall and said they ran multiple tests, even a camera in a spark plug.

They said that they couldn't diagnose what was wrong and said it would be about $800 just to open the engine. So we hauled it back and I have been driving about 10 miles a day. So today I went out to start and warm up my car and after about 15 minutes I went to leave only to find the car still cold, I live in Alaska.

I started to back out of my parking spot and noticed all the coolant in my drive way.

Thankfully there is an auto shop a few house up the road from me. It is the water pump!!!

I always thought Toyota was a great quality vehicle, but reading about all these water pump problems with fairly low miles is telling me it is not!

Camano Island, Washington, United States #1237817

I have a 2010 6-cylinder Rav4 and have had to replace water pump twice. Even though I have 200,000 miles on the car, that is excessive. I never had that problem with any other car and I have owned 5 vehicles with well over 100,000 miles driven on each of those

I too have a 2010 Rav-4 v6, this is the 3rd water pump in mine!!!!!! $900-$800 each time!

The last one only clocked 1,400 miles before it needed replaced...this is unacceptable!!!

I'm looking at my car now after a very short trip to town and I see water dripping from under my car and the air conditioner was not on....what does this tell me!!! MAD!

Mundelein, Illinois, United States #1223173

I was at the Toyota dealer yesterday and told the water pump on our 2007 Rav4 needed to be replaced. It was replaced once already back in 2012 and now I am faced with another replacement.

I was told there is a 1-year warranty so now faced with a $900 expense if I go through the dealership.

This is ridiculous!

Levittown, New York, United States #1216321

Yes, just had the water pump replaced for the second time on 2010 Rav4. The first time was in June 2014 at 64.7K.

This time 2 years later at 97.5K. Umm seems fishy. I questioned the service department but all that was said was 1-year warranty and wouldn't do much for me. Very interesting to hear people discussing this.

I didn't think much in 2014 since the vehicle was still under warranty and it didn't cost me anything to repair it. I will have to search around for other comments with regards to this problem.

Kansas, United States #1215259

Yes there defiantly should be a class act on the issue of the water pumps. I am sitting in a Toyota dealership where for a second time i am being told water pump bad in 2010 Rav 4.

I have owned Toyotas for the last 30 years because of the reliability. I am going to rethink that choice.

Palos Verdes Peninsula, California, United States #1215234

Me too. My 06 4cyl Rav 4 started weeping at 55,000.

Is replacement the only option? I am also reluctant to invest in a new toyota.