Toyota - 2007 camery is burning oil

189 of 250 Toyota Reviews
May 15, 2010
review #182162

Hello, My name is Carol Medina.I own a 2007 Toyota camry that is burning a quart of oil in 2 weeks.

I noticed one day when my oil light turned on! Talked to service dept. and they said that they would monitor my car. It is now approximately 4 months later and nothing is being done!

My husband and I were actually thinking of trading my car in for a Venza til we found this out. I just wish that the service dept. could just fix my car since this is a own problem with Camry's, which we did not no when we bought my car brand new! I do not want a Venza now, needless to say!

Thank you!PLEASE HELP ME!

669aea1
3.5
Had an experience with Toyota?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
CAPTCHA
Jide

Jul 20

I had exactly the same problem with my toyota camry 2007(which I bought from America at 80,000 Miles),which consumes about 35ltrs of oil in 3000miles.. I was advice to keep trying different engine oils till I tried 1 engine oil made by lubcon called 'Adrenaline'.... Now am so excited that my car doesn't burn engine oil anymore and the Oil code is 20W/50

0 1 Reply
Ricochet-Rabbit

Jul 20

20W-50 in an engine designed to use 5W-20? HAHAHAHA! Let us know how things are 10,000 miles from now.

fanitah

Jun 20 Atlanta, Georgia

I am also having the same problem as every one with my car burning up oil. I took my car in today for the 1000 mile check of the oil consumption, and yep, it was 1 qt plus . The service tech call the District Mgr. and they agreed to replace the engine provided that I pay 1K deductible. That is a lot of green backs. The cost for the engine is 4k. I have 160k miles on the car. I think I will just have to keep putting oil in the car every 3000 mile.

Tchristine

Mar 26

I purchased my 2007 in August of 2006 brand new and I am having problems with oil consumption. My car now has about 170K miles and was 2 quarts down in 500 miles. Really? I am waiting for a call back from the dealership to see if they will do anything, but based on everything I'm reading, it does not appear that Toyota will be helpful. I should know in a few days. This may definitely be my first and last Toyota purchase.

Jan 02

my *** 07 camry is burning oil also. F-Toyota! never again will I buy from them again! :(

TYarbrough

Dec 03, 2013 Mcdonough, Georgia

Not only does my 2007 Camry burn oil but every few months I get a letter telling me of some recall or problem they are having with a certain part on the car. The last one I got said I may roll down my windows one day and catch on fire. I asked the Toyota dealership when my car was serviced and they said they would oil the electronic window controls and asked me if I was sure I hadn't noticed a burning smell.

nowherenks

Nov 20, 2013

This is a huge problem with the 2AZ-FE engine

fucktoyota

Nov 10, 2013

I have a 2007 Toyota Camry LE and I have this exact same problem. Sad that they have not done a recall on this, I would be interested in a class action lawsuit.

Jul 04

Judy

Aug 20, 2013

I own a 2007 Toyota Camry and I am have the same problem. My car is using about a quart every 5000 miles. I had scheduled to take it to a Toyota Dealership this morning but cancelled after reading all of the data on this web site. I purchased the car new and have had the oil changed every 3000 to 5000 miles. I am very upset due to the fact I cant afford a hugh bill in trying to reslove the issue. I have owned several Toyota's in my life time but I am thinking of trading and going to Nissan. The company should do a recall if this many 07 Toyota owners are having the same problem. I will not buy Toyota again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hordak

Aug 10, 2013 Chicago, Illinois

Hello.
I'm also an owner of 2007 camry and mine started consuming oil about year or more from now. I took it to the dealer and after almost four oil changes( which is about year +/-) I finally got something that feels like an answer. The pistons of a car are designed wrongfully and these new ones have different design on it. Now it costs well over $3000 dollars to be fixed and Toyota says its not their problem to fix it and my external warranty does not cover oil consumption. So me and other Camry owners are screwed (f*****) because no one wants to own it up :( :( :( . I have no choice but to get rid of the car ASAP.

Aug 09, 2013

We have a 2007 Camry and this is our third we had 1995, 1998 and now the 2007. the 1995 or 1998 had no oil issues at all in fact we still see our 1998 driving around town and when we traded it in for a 03 Toyota corolla in 2002 it had 160,000 miles, we took our 2007 camry in for the oil change last Thursday it had only one quart left in it, it does not leak or smoke, the car is parked in garage and we have no leaks on ground, we have had it 100% serviced at our local Toyota dealer. I was told this common for that year. I think a recall is needed to get this addressed we paid $25000.00 for it it should not be burning anything.

labiker

Aug 01, 2013 Las Vegas, Nevada

I wouldn't say they're junk. My last two both had over 200k and ran just fine when I sold them. 14 years and no quality problems.

Toyota did let their quality slip a bit with the '07. My new '13 is solid and perfect in every way. There is no doubt this one will last over 10 years.

If you still own the '07, you can do one of two things. Sell it, or change the oil every 3k, check the level weekly, and after 90k start using a synthetic blend. In other words, suck it up.

That's my 2¢

Catherine

Jun 22

Looks like it is 3 to 5 thousand to get the engine fixed, so am seriously considering doing this because I have had all the other problems with the car fixed and all the recalls attended to. I was thinking of junking it, but 3 to 5k is way cheaper than a new vehicle. Would love to hear from someone else who has fixed their car - did the fix work?

maw

Jun 30, 2013 Fredericton, New Brunswick

I also have a 2007 Camry se and is burning oil..Took it to the Toyota dealer and did some tests and they told me it was normal..
Should be a recall..

adac4u

Jun 19, 2013 Laguna Niguel, California

Same here, I have 2007 Camry and I have to put in oild for every 1500 miles.
what should we do about it ? Can we file a class action law suit ?

JBragan

Jun 13, 2013 Boston, Massachusetts

have a 2007 Camry LE, that has a oil consumption problem. Back on Sept 28, 2012, I was having my oil changed and the mechanic told me that I was almost 3 quarts down, and after inspection of the car, he did not find any leaks. My car at this point had 70,274 miles on it. The mechanic suggested that I take it back to the Toyota dealership, to see what the problem was. I took the car back to Toyota and they told me in order to see what the problem was they had to fill the oil and (lock it down) and to bring it back in 1200 miles. I brought the car back in late November, early December 2012 and the oil was down 1.8 quarts .

There is a Technical Service Bulletin on this issue, T-SB-0094-11. 2AZ-FE Engine Oil Consumption issue. Toyota told me this was an issue, but my engine was out of warranty.. They told me that they would split the total repair cost with me 50/50. That the most I would pay is $2000. This is for a known issue. I didn't know what to do, but they told me that this repair would be under warranty for 12 months and if I had any issues then they would fix it. They would stand by the repair and they were certain this would fix the oil problem. So I had the car fixed and picked it up Dec. 21, 2012. It ended up costing me $1424.00, and I was told that I could go back to having my oil changed every 5000 miles. I was a little nervous about that so after 1000 miles I took it back and was told that they had to top it off. I said how much was
... Show more

Catherine

Jun 22

Hmmmmm - not good news - the fix should have replaced the defective pistons and rings so you shouldn't be burning oil any more. I check the oil every morning before I leave for work - is there a reason people are going to their mechanics for an oil level check? Can probably keep the engine going for quite a while adding oil, however, I am wondering how much oil the catalytic converter can eat before it fails. Anyone with any experience with this happening?

Showing 1-20 of 84 comments

×
You were reading a complaint about Toyota.
Filing a new complaint about
×